Thursday, May 18, 2023

Build Time - Photo Backdrop

This was another thing I did back in 2021.  Newer projects are coming - there's just a little thing called Tears of the Kingdom standing in the way right now.  It took me forever to track this video down.  Please appreciate =p

A while back, Froggy made a doll room with modular walls, to expand on her awesome "hidden" style rooms.  I liked that idea, and I had a whole bunch of scrapbook paper and scrap fabric to make use of, so I figured why not make some of my own?  But of course, me being me...it got out of control pretty quickly.

Walmart garbage is about to make a reappearance, brace yourselves.

Ignore the visible toes and the fact I clearly haven't got my eyes on while taking this picture.  In this lineup we have a piece of a box (I think it came from a lamp case or similar), some scrapbook paper, and the backdrop from the Bob Ross figure I have.  You'll find out why that's there in a minute.



I measured my backdrop piece according to Froggy's guidelines, then traced around the inside of the circle on the trash piece and cut that out.  I wanted this to be a somewhat functional window, in that whatever's visible through it could be interchangeable.


...sloppy.

Covered that with the scrapbook paper and recut the hole.  I'm not super careful with my knives and have yet to designate a public-access exacto, so I keep grabbing the wrong one, with the dull blade of course.  Raise your hand if you understand.



Cut out the original hole, then laid it on top of another piece of trash cardboard and did some more tracing and butchery to end up with this.


Yes, yes it is off-center.

Here's where we get fancy, of course.  I wanted some "glass" in there.  Enter the famous Plastic from Doll Packaging (tm), except unlike last time with the TV, I didn't have one single large piece.  I had two usable ones and had to get creative about finagling them in there.  I wrangled these in between the cardboard circles at angles and then distressed them a bit to make them look more like cracked glass.

Then I added some hot glue rivets.

*Fancy* Cobbled Trash (tm)


Went over this with tissue mache again to soften some of the edges and make the whole thing look more like one piece than cobbled trash...




I could have sanded this, or added more layers to remove the wrinkles, but eh...  That's the same silver paint in use, by the way - the bottom ring got a dark wash with black and the top one got burnt umber.  I think I drybrushed the top one with copper or bronze.  Gave it a sealant spritz which fogged the glass and added some (also trash) fake greenery for effect.



It's a little hard to see, but the porthole surround is actually set into the wall a little bit.  The whole thing got a coat of Podge for extra texture.  This thing isn't just distressed, it's straight up traumatized.



This one isn't double sided like my other ones, specifically because I wanted to be able to have light pass through.  There's a piece of cardstock on the back, with enough clearance to slide another piece of paper or thin card between that and the foamboard.  Interchangeable scenery!



It fits into the base piece nicely and is light enough to stand with no problems.  The same can't necessarily be said for the newest addition to this collection, lol.  But we'll see how I compensated for that next time.


She always wanted to try standing in front of this window!


No comments:

Post a Comment