Friday, September 4, 2015

Project Kitbash - Torso Update

 A follow-up to the last post


I mentioned I had a few upgrades in mind, and a couple of ideas on how to do things differently.  Decided to go ahead and do them, so here we are.


what a horrifying lineup

Unstrung the boys and molded some new center joints for the ladies.  Pared and sanded all the clay balls down (quite a bit, actually), and then coated the outsides with Loctite vinyl glue.  That worked out exactly like I’d thought it would, actually.  The glue dries extremely fast – I mean, in seconds – so I just put some on a cotton swab and swabbed away.  It does help to protect the Model Magic and it does add a little rubbery texture to it that helps give the joint some tooth, so there’s one success.


The guys got restrung with elastic cord this time, which made them a lot less floppy due to the better tension in the elastic.  They look better as well, though that’s a minor thing =p


For the girls I tried yet again with stretchy materials since the dowel method didn’t allow for tilting, and on the third attempt finally hit a decent balance.

more alien artifacts

Once again, glued pieces of craft foam at either end, but this time using a short length of sewing elastic.  It’s not 100% perfect, but it’s more flexible than the dowel rod and a hell of a lot less floppy than the rubberized leather cord from the second attempt (which I’m not even going to go into detail about here; the sad trombones would totally drown me out).

No comments:

Post a Comment