Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Skelita, is that YOU?

2023 update - some of the mentioned other projects at the bottom of this original post are still not gotten to, just in case anyone wondered.  I have one half-rooted head and several (meaning almost a dozen) project bodies in my TBD drawers right this minute.  Catrina-Anne's faceup, however, is still doing fine.






Mistakes were made here, please don't ask.




Remember this girl?  Apparently ‘coming soon’ means ‘coming when my internet’s out for five days’ =p

Say hello to Catrina-Anne Tebellum.  She’s about 150 years old and her favorite color is pink…aaaand that’s about all I know so far.

She’s a Scaris line Skelita I got loose on eBay and is my first foray into Monster High customs.  I got sucked into doll review sites and thence into the custom stuff back in January and figured ‘hey, it’s been a long time since 1999…I bet I’ve accrued enough levels in kitbash that I can totally do this’.  So here we are.  I went for something a little more understated than most people seen to do with Skelita, unless you count her eyes.  Those were cut out and sockets made with Model Magic, which was glued in place with Loctite vinyl adhesive (flexible, highly recommended).  Her ‘eyes’ are just some beads glued on pieces of black wire and painted, then coated with luminous paint so they’ll glow, because the Book of Life style of eyes really appealed to me.  This way they’re also somewhat poseable as well, which was part of the plan.  All paint used is Folk Art acrylic – I think the only professional grade thing about her is her wig, which is a Monique Gold.  She’s sealed with Aleene’s matte sealer and considering she spent a few months sitting atop my art desk while end-of-winter and spring with all its humidity went on, she’s held up fairly well.  Not much stickiness and minimal dust attraction.

I regret the dress.  I regret the dress deeply :’D  She’ll get a new and much better one as soon as I can save up for some actual MH size clothing patterns.  Right now I prefer her in her undies because the dress ended up looking more like something from the bowels of cakewrecks.com.  The hat, however, is just fine somehow.


There are a few more projects I have planned along this line, but I don’t know right now how long it’ll take me to get to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment