Saturday, February 23, 2019

Project Kitbash - Custom Squid



it's only a subweapon if you call it one.

my preciousssssss...



You know me, I can’t just get a thing and be content. I have to see what else I can do to stretch the possibilities. I had my suspicions about the girl Inkling, and it turned out I was right – the head was in fact hollow. No doubt this it to help prevent them from being too top-heavy, considering how solid their vinyl is. That actually makes them pretty easy to customize, if you can pry the vinyl ‘hair’ away from the edges of the face. I actually ended up just cutting off the long tentacles and the bangs, and sculpting some new tentacles from air-dry clay (a mistake) to help hold it back together. The end result wasn’t horrible, but…it’s not quite right, either. She’s since been dismantled again and is due for an experimental upgrade. I have half a mind to try inset eyes, since though the face vinyl is solid, it’s not incredibly thick where the eyes are…


Inklings are just as empty-headed as we all thought.



that head actually fits the body really well.

Custom Squid (or let’s be honest, squidsona) is on a basic Obitsu 11cm plastic body. It came with its own set of extra rubbery hands, but I also modded the original Inkling figure’s hands to fit the wrist pegs as well. In the images above it’s wearing a Pinkie Cooper dress, which is slightly too large, but I ended up making my own clothes for it, and repainting some Barbie shoes. Note the 11cms can wear the adult size shoes, though they’re a little too large – though more or less okay as far as in-game proportions go if you’re lazy – but Kelly Chelsea size shoes are a little too small and have to be cut up the back. Both are cheaper alternatives to the ready-made Obitsu shoes, though I also have some of those.






I’d made another one of these along the same lines for Cupcake, of his baby Biscuit, just for funsies (he’s done some amazing squid customs, so go check those out too!). Both squids came along with us on the big vacation last year to Orlando, though we didn’t get too many chances to stage photos…aside from once or twice at the Magic Kingdom, and once in the motel lobby (much to the concern of the staff, lol). Biscuit is wearing repainted Kelly Chelsea shoes, and they fit him really tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment